Saturday, June 22, 2019

Hi there. This is my first post in 4-5 years! Yes, I'm still running, and even still running marathons. When I first started running (and when I started this blog), I was younger. I was also ever-eager to run farther and faster. I was hungry for shiny new PRs and the glorious euphoria that comes with earning them. In recent times, I've traded in some of my exuberance for a bit more maturity and perspective.

I won't say that I've completely ruled out a marathon PR. After all, who can, in good conscience, "retire" with a 3:30 (OH ONE!) as their record. I mean, the detail of that race always make for a good story, but the two seconds it would have taken me to break through that 3:30 barrier will haunt me until my dying day.

My most recent marathon was on 3/2/2019. I ran the same course I did at the PR race. My time was 3:54:08. It was good enough to earn the coveted Boston Marathon Qualifier time, but not good enough to actually get me in for next spring. Therefore, I'm six weeks in to training for the Last Chance Marathon which will be September 14 in Chicago. I've already trained more diligently for this one that I did for the March race, and I have a soft goal of 3:45. This will be plenty enough for that BQ I seek.

Back when I blogged before, my runs were not only motivated by having fun. They were also an escape from certain things. Since that time, I have lost some of my running intensity, but I have more fun with it. And I've settled in to run until the day I die.

So, this is just a brief "I'm back" post. I hope to keep up with these posts as a diary of sorts. Thanks for reading!

1 comment: